An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Sunday, November 4, 2012

November 5

The whole argument in today's scripture in Hebrews is why Jesus can be referred to as a "High Priest". By Jesus' lineage, he was NOT a Levite and thus not qualified for the priesthood. Jesus is a descendant of Judah. The argument of the author is that others, in specific Melchizedek, had received the tribute.
In case you have forgotten, there is quite an argument among the sages about who Melchizedek was. Rashi says that he was Shem, the son of Noah. And by the numbers, he certainly could be. Plus, Noah had blessed Shem to be a priest. Also, where Abraham met him to deliver his tribute is where Jerusalem would eventually be and that was in Shem's territory.
That would also make Abraham, Shem's great something grandson. And I guess you are supposed to take care of him.
A very interesting proposition and one that Paul certainly would have known about since Rashi was quoting Hillel, the greatest rabbi (other than Jesus) ever and Paul's teacher.
This is setting up the foundation for this entire letter as to why Jesus matters to Jews, the audience for this letter.


I spent yesterday afternoon and night on a hike to a lovely little inn at Amicalola Falls, GA, The Hike Inn. It was our church retreat and I am so proud of all of us for making that 5 mile hike in. We left before everyone else to get Matthew back to Atlanta so he could go back to school so I hope that everyone made it OUT.
Being up there and seeing how hard they have worked to make it sustainable but comfortable makes me a little ashamed of how little I do to make the world a better place. I resolve to do better.
In my babystep mode, Don and I have agreed to recycle paper and glass. It is harder than it looks since my garbage man allows you to separate the recycles but then doesn't recycle them as there is no money in them. Fortunately, there is an enormous recycle place just north of here and I am going to try and go once a week and then pop over to the Big Trees Preserve for a hike. I am afraid the hike bug has bitten.

Grace and Peace and a great week to each of you.
And if you are an American, GO VOTE.

No comments:

Post a Comment