An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

November 14

NT -- Hebrews 11:32-12:13
So very, very much in this section of scripture that I really relate to.
I love the whole imagery of the great cloud of witnesses. I have several really awesome people that have already died that I regard as true spiritual guides and the fact that they are still with me, encouraging me and hopefully helping me make the right decisions is a powerful one.
I have heard the verses 12:1-2 referred to as the "Resign as the Master of Universe" pitch. We really aren't in control and any false assumptions that we are in control usually meet with poor results.
But the one that hits me right where I need it to is verse 12:7 "Endure hardship as a discipline; God is treating you like a son."
Forgive the garden imagery but this is true in the garden as well.
If you start tomato plants inside and do not simulate harsh conditions, when the tomato plant goes out, it will wither and die. You actually have to swish the plant back and forth every day in order to prevent this. It develops resistance and fibers in the stem.
This is true in my life as well. Oh, I know I don't feel that way at the time and have an amazing ability to gripe and grumble, but after the crisis is passed, I am generally the stronger for it.
But not this strong:
Proverbs 27:17
An iron sharpens iron, so man sharpens another.

No comments:

Post a Comment