An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Saturday, November 17, 2012

November 18

NT -- James 1:19-2:17
vs. 26:If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

Well, that X's me out then. My mouth continually gets me in trouble. Think , think, think before you speak, Sylvia. It just seems to happen at the worst possible times.
And then, of course, there is the whole cussing problem of which I just will say, I could and should do much better.

This passage also contains a favorite one of mine.
vs. 17 Faith, by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

I went to a funeral today of a lovely, lovely lady. She was 94 and a member of my Sunday School class. Can I say, this? Yes, I will. Her funeral was as lovely as she was.
She had stipulated that she wanted it to last no more than 30 minutes. And that's all it did. Ron preached a mighty fine funeral sermon and as one who has heard 20 or so funeral sermons that he has preached (I am on the bereavement committee and help with the receptions afterwards), it always amazes me that each one is so different.
Her music minister from her former church came and sang -- Amazing Grace and How Great thou Art. Unbelievable.
After a funeral at Mt Vernon, the ladies of the church offer a reception for the family to greet friends. It is one the the nicest things we do, I think, and not just because I work on this committee. It just provides a nice time to visit and speak.
Anyway, the committee was told to expect 35. There were over a hundred people at that funeral.
And why?
Because my sweet lady had always evidenced her strong, strong faith. Quiet, sure of herself and her actions, she continued to study her Bible and come to Sunday School. She never argued. If she spoke, it was sincere, to the point, and always thoughtful. No rambling for her, thank you.
In her youth, she had taught school and Sunday School, herself. As an elderly person, she continued to read devotions and ponder meaning, often using 2 translations to help her understand.
She tried hard not to be troublesome to family, friends and her church. I would say she more than succeeded. She will be sorely missed.
This is a Christian model to emulate. This is a woman to aspire to.
This is faith in action, word, deeds, and thought. James will like having her in his classroom.

Peace and Serenity to each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment