An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

November 28

OT -- Daniel 5
This is the story of the writing on the wall. When I looked this chapter up in my online Tanakh, there is very little commentary by Rashi. Rashi considers Daniel not a prophet but 'scriptures' like Psalms, Proverbs, Job and Ruth. There is quite a lot in the first couple of chapters and loads in the apocalyptic sections but almost none in this one.
And I wondered why? It is a fairly straightforward story -- a son, watching his father be deposed, is still wicked and desecrates sacred objects from another religion. As the old story books say 'God will get you for that' and He did. But why only the hand? And why only the 4 words? And how come the queen knew about Daniel but the king didn't? I have lots of unanswered questions about this story and would have appreciated commentary, Rashi!

Okay, I know that it is futile to argue with someone who has been dead for 950 years. But one thing that this year long study has shown me and shown me well is how very, very little I know about the Bible. It would be pathetic if I let it.
Instead, I am just going to keep plugging along, even through the parts that I absolutely loathe. I guess those parts have just as much to teach me as the 'good' stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment