An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, November 1, 2012

November 1




OT -- Ezekiel 1:1-3:15
What an incredible word picture of God descending to Ezekiel! And I love how God keeps referring to Ezekiel as 'son of man'. As if he could be something else?
And I would sit on my bottom for many days as well if something lifted me up and plunked me down a long way from where I was.
Ezekiel must have been scared out of his wits.
Of course, this is the classic VBS song about him.


Click here if your email doesn't support YouTube.

Psalm 104:1-23
Does it drive you crazy when the pronouns change from You to He? It totally confuses me and then I have to start again and try to figure out who and what the psalmist is talking about.
In case you are in the same boat, here is what I figured out:
The psalmist is trying to praise God, first as a king, then as a creator, then as sustainer. He begins each stanza directing it at God -- thus the You and then goes on to explain to the psalmist' audience what God is/has done -- thus the He.
This is probably a translation issue between the Hebrew/Greek/English.
The psalmist would not have passed my sixth grade English teacher, Mrs. Robinson, but then again, I very nearly didn't either.

Grace to each of you as you begin your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment