An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Friday, November 9, 2012

November 10

Psalm 108:1-13
Because of the way my life plays out, I see lots of dawns, very few sunsets. Some mornings as I am walking Howler and see that magnificent sunrise, I know exactly how the psalmist feels -- "My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul. Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn."
Don't worry if you live in my neighborhood -- I don't sing loud but some mornings I DO sing, it is that glorious.

And I wonder why humans find that glorious -- all those different colors and textures of what is an ever changing sky. But we do and it is not infrequent that people standing in line at my RaceTrac buying coffee will comment on what a beautiful sky it was that morning. Is it any wonder that ancient man assumed it was a god who made the sun rise and set with his chariot of fire?

Proverbs 27:12
The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

I watched an episode of the West Wing last night that had this little story in it:
A man falls down in a hole and cannot get out.
A priest walks by and hears the man yelling for help. He looks in the hole, writes a prayer on a piece of paper, tosses it in and walks on by.
A doctor walks by and hears the man begging for help. He looks in the hole, writes out a prescription for painkillers, tosses it in and walks on by.
A young woman walks by and hears the man sobbing. She jumps down in the hole. Why did you do that, asks the man. Now we are both in the hole. The young woman answers, ah, but I have been here before and I know the way out.

The way out. If you don't know it, you need to stop what you are doing and find someone that does. And in order to do that, you have to speak up and about your problem.

Grace to each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment