An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Friday, November 23, 2012

November 24

OT -- Psalm 119:49-64
VS 57-64 begin with 'you are my portion'. When I think of portion, I think of food. Forgive the imagery, but if a portion of food is nourishment for your body -- the right amount for your vitamin, mineral, fat, carbohydrate and protein mix, then a portion of God is the right amount for your spiritual body.
Since I was in high school, I have struggled with my weight so I know all about portions, both correct and too much. Is God the same way? Or can you have 'too much' God?
This section of scripture concludes with another favorite line of the psalmist: The earth is filled with your love, O Lord; teach me your decrees.
Well, reading the paper this morning, I would have to conclude that the earth IS NOT filled with God's love. Instead, it is filled with Black Friday Shopping. Which is why two verses earlier: At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
Not to go shopping.

As we enter into the frenzy of the holiday season, please remember to ground yourself in the Word. After all, God is the reason for the season.

Grace to each of you and traveling mercies.

No comments:

Post a Comment