An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, September 27, 2012

September 28

NT -- Ephesians 6:1-24
Well, my armor of God vision is only slightly marred by the preceding passages about slavery.
But what I think is important to note about the slavery passages is not Paul's casual assumption that there would ever be a world order without slavery (and to this day, there is still slavery in THIS world. Click here if you want more information.) Rather, it is what people have done to USE Paul's casual comment to their benefit.
And maybe that is the point of his 'wives obey your husband' passage as well. That was the order of the day. Women who didn't obey their husbands could and were beaten. Badly. Even as late as the Salem witch trials, a man could order that the constable beat his wife and they would. Without waiting for evidence or discussion.
Makes me glad I live in 2012. I have quite a rebellious streak in me. Not sure I would have made it to 49....

But to my lovely Armor of God. Yes, it is militaristic. But I love the whole picture of using our religion to strengthen us for our daily lives and the battles -- big and little -- that rage around us.

May your life be strengthen by your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment