An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Friday, September 21, 2012

September 22

We are in Clinton,SC at Parent's weekend for Presbyterian College. Matthew seems to be doing really well. He is happy, a little too thin, says his classes are 'mostly good' and has made some really nice friends. He is working for the Athletic Department and tonight, he videotaped the Men's soccer match between Presbyterian and Davidson. PC lost 3-0 but gosh, the game is rough and they tried hard.
Tomorrow, he will be the defensive spotter in the football game against Furman. All in all, I think he is going to be okay. Plus, he got his flu shot yesterday.
But the drive up here had me filled with aprehension. Not because of how Matthew was doing or that we had left Cole behind to take care of the animals and the house. No, I am so concerned about all the stuff that is happening in our world right now. I realize that I say this every presdential election, but this one seems especially vicious. And I got an email from one of my friends who runs a huge law firm's real estate division. They are closing their Gwinnett office and 'retreating' to their smaller office on Peachtree Dunwoody.
Then I read our scripture in Isaiah today. Now, some of the words are so familiar "Comfort, comfort my people" and "those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
But this is directly after Isaiah has told Hezekiah what an ass he has made of himself by showing off all his wealth to the emissaries from Babylon. Isaiah tells him that some of his children will be enunchs! in Babylon and all Hezekiah can think is 'great, there will be peace in my lifetime.'
The CONTEXT for my comforting words are the prophesies of the death and destruction of Jerusalem! Somehow, I never read past the parts I loved.
This has been one of the hardest parts of this study for me, realizing that we really have cherry picked the scripture passages and ignored the context and the surrounding verses. Not to mention the hard stuff that I still don't have a place or box big enough in my head to put all this stuff into.

But enough about my personal trials and tribulations.

Today we start Ephesians. My Bible commentary says that it is questionable whether Paul wrote Ephesians. The words and some of the doctrine are not similar to his other 'known' epistles. What is true about Ephesians is that he does not greet individuals as he normally does and his whole treatise on predestination aspect is different from the individualized criticism that is in Romans and Galatians in particular is absent.
It was fairly common for followers to assign their teacher's name to a document, almost as a gift to that teacher. If that is so, then the follower had studied Paul's writing style with its lengthy sentences and convoluted structure.
If it was written by Paul, this is a deviation from his 'normal' individualized theology to the institutional church's theology.
Regardless, Ephesians is a letter that promotes unity among believers, regardless of background and the belief in the salvation provided by Christ through his sacrifice, to be emulated by the faithful.
I do have several favorite passages in Ephesians -- in particular the armor of God -- and I am hoping not to be disappointed with the placement of THAT scripture.
And, contrary to many views, I have long ago made peace with the submission passage in Ephesians, attributing THAT to Paul's clearly stated Chauvinism, both here and elsewhere. (Don't forget the hair passage in Corinthians...)

Tonight is one of those nights when I wish that scripture had been soothing but since it is not, I guess it mirrors my rumples.
So, I will pray to have my rumples smoothed out and if you have them as well, consider yours smoothed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment