An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Monday, September 17, 2012

September 18

OT -- Isaiah 25:1-28:13
One of the things I have learned working at farmer's markets is just how many different kinds of philosophy there is about this country and its future. One of my co-workers says it is because I listen but I can tell you, I have heard every political viewpoint -- and all of them think I am on 'their' side -- every economic feasibility scheme -- every way to 'balance the budget', bring the soldiers home, take care of the widers and them children on the streets.
But by far, the most prevalent viewpoint at the markets, especially among farmers, is that we are headed for a meltdown.
One of my good friends farms in Elberton and he left Atlanta for that exact reason. I call his attitude 'the compound' attitude because he feels like he can retreat and protect his borders, if necessary. Don't want to know the exact details of 'protect'.
Of course, all these folks send me news articles, clippings and email stuff. Most I don't open because, with teenage boys, who needs more worry? But long ago, I started to read this woman's blog and today, she had a great post. Like me, her sermon yesterday set her off. Only, she started pondering Plan B.
Read the post here.

And then, when I read today's scripture passage in Isaiah, I realized that the folks in the Northern kingdom of Israel and certainly in Judah, did not think there had to be a Plan B. They just assumed that God would relent and not pass judgment on their wickedness. They were, after all, the chosen people.
Maybe there is more to that Harbinger YouTube.

Psalm 61
It is a good thing that Psalm 61 is our psalm today as it more than soothes. Listen to this verse: "For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings."

So, we may need Plan B and we may be swept aside like Israel and Judah. Or we may come out all the better for the trials and tribulations that so very many have suffered. The best we can do is to stay in the shelter of the Lord and do the best we can with what we have. Doom or gloom, sunshine or rainbows.

Grace to each of you. And to those of you who know me well, I am now off to watch the Falcons.

No comments:

Post a Comment