An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Sunday, September 23, 2012

September 24

Because of my long commute when the children were younger, I listened to a lot of books on tape and later, podcasts. It is my favorite thing of all time about the Internet. My absolute favorite podcast is On Being hosted by Krista Tippett. It is on Public Radio and I have found that it not only enlarged my world view on other religions but helped me tremendously in times of personal struggle.

Bigotry is an area that has long interested me. I live in the South and grew up in the 60s and 70s in an upper middle class home. I went to an all white private school that was integrated in a very deliberate manner in the early 70s. Race is not my issue.
Okay, what about politics? My husband is extremely liberal. I work with and share my life with ultra-Republicans. I really like both sets. I enjoy listening to their various takes on issues, people and problems. I have learned a tremendous amount from both. I still sit primarily in the center and don't classify myself as any political being. That's out.
The sexuality issue? No, not for me. I deeply love several lesbian couples and respect what they are doing with their lives and their families. I am also closely acquainted with several gay men who are both in relationships and not and admire them as well. Not my issue.
Immigration? Economics? Can't say on those either. I have viewpoints but I am easily able to see the PERSON rather than the issue.
Where then am I bigoted? Or maybe I am not. Oh yes, I am.
The group that I come closest to despising is the Evangelical Christian Right. I have fervent issue with their lack of women in ministry and I don't mean the director of Christian Ed. I have deep dislike and distrust of how cruel and hateful they can be to people who believe differently from themselves. And the whole 'it's in the Bible' thing can lay me low. I could go on, but then you would see ME as the truly nasty being I am.
Which brings me back to the podcast for this week for On Being. Krista Tippett has a live interview with Gabe Lyons and Jim Daly, both evangelical Christians. And while I still can feel rancor for the evangelical Christians as a whole, I learned a lot and have much to ponder. Listening to them speak, I realized what my bigotry is REALLY about. It is about Fear. I was afraid if someone 'knew' that I was a Christian, it would automatically align me with 'them'. After all, the bitterest of fights are between family, right?
While I continue to disagree on basic matters of theology and church practices, I am not afraid any more that "They speak for Christians". It is isn't my job to convince anyone of my faith. I am what I am. Either a wannabe Christian or a Christian with issues (I prefer the second take). Please click on the link below and listen to the conversation. Because that is the opening point -- a conversation. Not that either of them convinced me or that somehow, I would convince another but the act of sharing grief, pain, goals, and disappointment is a move towards understanding.



Joe B is talking about power in his Nehemiah class and whether or not The Church (I guess that implies Mt Vernon Presbyterian Church) should have a say in politics. It was very interesting to hear the viewpoints from the members of the class and some that I was very surprised to hear. My own opinion is that if all the world hears is the ugly, hateful, bigoted side of church, that is all they know. But another of the participants brought up this song.

Check out this video of Casting Crowns singing "If we are the Body"


Click here if your email does not display YouTube.

The part of Isaiah that we are in now - Isaiah 43:14-45:10 names a foreigner -- Cyrus, the king of Persia as the 'savior' of the Jews. Now, let me just say, Isaiah got some backwash from that statement. Want to talk bigotry -- well, when you were taken into slavery and somehow made it out okay like many of the Jews in Babylon (they were, after all, allowed to own businesses, be in the government, travel extensively EXCEPT back to Jerusalem), you did not want the King of Persia to be your savior. No, you wanted an heir of David to come and rescue you and restore the throne.
Imagine then, a prophet schooled in the thought of the original Isaiah who predicted the demise of the Northern Kingdom to Assyria and the fall of Judah to Babylon, stating that a non-believer was the 'chosen one'. I don't think it went over well.

As we start our week, ponder your own bigotry and ask God to heal you and help you overcome those nasty parts of you. He has a lot of work to do on me but I will share Him with you. Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment