An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

September 27

OT -- Isaiah 48:12-50:11
How interesting is this section!
"I will make of you a light to the Gentiles" vs. 6
I had no idea this was in Isaiah. I guess I assumed that Paul devised his mission because the Jews wouldn't have him (I wouldn't either...)But here it is in Isaiah.
Now, I know, Isaiah is trying to reconcile the Jews who are in Babylon to their savior being Cyrus, a Persian. He is also trying to convince them to go back to Israel and many of them do not want to go. And they didn't. This is what is referred to as the First Diaspora. The second is when the Temple was destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD and Jerusalem was leveled. Everyone ran for their lives.
But all the parts in Isaiah that we so frequently read as meaning Jesus really were written to explain Cyrus. A rather new twist for me and one that I need to read up on.

NT -- Ephesians 5:17-32
Do you hear the constant refrain of 'put off'? Clothing imagery pervades Ephesians culminating in the armor of God. But in order to be clothed in 'Godly' clothing, you first have to remove all the impurities -- deceit, stealing, falsehood, sexual immorality. And then you need to wash. That is tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment