An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Saturday, July 21, 2012

July 22

NT -- Romans 7:14-8:8
I had no idea what Paul was talking about so I typed in Romans 8 commentary.
Up popped this website which helped me not at all with the passage but at the bottom of the page has a chart "Romans Road to Righteousness".  Go look at this chart!
Basically, the author of this website says the main purpose of Romans is Righteousness and there are 5 steps to that end. (Actually, Paul himself says that the main purpose of Romans for salvation by faith not by works.)
The 5 steps have sup-steps (of course, this is Paul after all) but what a fascinating distillation of the letter.

Proverbs 19:24-25
Ugh! Just when I am loving Proverbs we have a slew in a row of ghastly ones.
Sluggard is synonym for lazy and now I know why we were not allowed to eat our dinners (except fried chicken and corn on the cob) with our hands.
And the whole flogging thing we have dealt with the cruxcifixtion scenes so I am definitely not looking to be beaten so that I can gain knowledge. I will stay stupid.

OT -- 2 Chronicles 6:12-8:10
My dear old friend Rashi has a brief commentary on this section. He goes to great length to explain that while the Jews lived in the Promised Land, there was no sickness or illness unless there was sin involved. After the exile and the return, this was not the case but up until then, apparently, people did not get sick with colds, fevers and 'flu unless the king was sinning. As one who has spent my fair share of time at the pediatrician's, I can truthfully say, must have been nice. Except, given our politicians, we would have plague and boils in a near constant state.

Peace and grace to you all

No comments:

Post a Comment