An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

July 11

NT -- Acts 28:1-31
Thus ends Acts. See what I mean about Acts being a 2 of 3 books? Wouldn't you have loved to have read Book 3? I guess we will just have to wait until we get to heaven and hear it straight from Luke's mouth.
The years after Paul's death were turbulent ones for Rome until we hit AD 90 when things settle down for a while. Here is a great mini history lesson for that period if you want to read it.
Or if you want to go all out -- here is a wonderful podcast that gives you the history of Rome over a two year period in a weekly podcast. I am only starting to dip into this one. Looks really promising!

Proverbs 19:1-3
It is not good to have zeal without knowledge nor to be hasty wand miss the way.

How true. How many times have I gotten just a little bit of information and then gone full tilt only to discover if I have taken a little more time and gotten a little more information, I would have been a whole lot better off.
I think this is called thinking before you act.
Not my strong suit.

If Solomon is using the proverbs as a teaching tool to his children (and he had a bunch!), then this is probably one of the harder concepts to learn. I realize that there are some children who are naturally wise. I am not among them. I had to do most of the awful things on my own regardless of how much my parents told me not to do so and why. I am probably a hard core case but I suspect a lot of children are like me -- foolhardy and overly ambitious with a whole lot of disregard for the limits of body, mind and soul. And I cannot even say with totally resolve that I learn my lesson on the first go!
Perhaps I need to have this proverb tattoo'd on me rather than a chicken as planned.
(Another example of stupidness that I have only avoided because I had children who were watching and I knew they would want one too.)

Blessings on your reading and meditations.

No comments:

Post a Comment