An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Saturday, July 14, 2012

July 14

Sorry to be late. Am at a family reunion in Sevierville, TN and we stayed up late watching The Fugitive. I should have worked on my Bible study in the afternoon which I spent lazing around on the back porch reading a book in a swing but ....

NT -- Romans 2:1-24
Look at verses 17-24. Instead of the word Jew, add the word Christian to those verses and see if you indict yourself. I have to admit that I have a bad tendency to be a little holier-than-thou which is what those verses are about. If we as Christians think we have some kind of lock on what is right and behave badly to those who don't, we are worse!! I am reminded of all those folks I know that say the church is full of hypocrites. And I guess it is. But the only person I can control (and darn little of that, sometimes) is me. I *have* to do the best I can and not act like I am some kind of glorified creature with rights and privileges afforded to me just because I am a God-person.
Paul was clearly dealing with the split that if you were Jewish and you knew the Law, it was okay to be bad to those who didn't or weren't.
So, how do we live this out in our real lives? I think it comes all the way back to that verse in Micah 6:8
He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly[a] with your God.

And maybe we just need to choose one of those attributes and work on it until we are confident we have that down pat. Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment