An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Friday, July 20, 2012

July 21

NT -- Romans 7:1-13
Hard slogging for me in this part of the Bible.  I really just want Paul to get to the point!
Years ago, I went to a seminar put on by a man named Charles Menzies.  Charles says that the world is divided into two different kinds of people -- those who just want you to tell the time and those that want you to build the watch. 
I am a tell the time person to the nth degree.  Paul is building the biggest clock tower ever. 
If I had to reduce this part of scripture to one sentence, here is what it is:
"Tell a child not to do something and he will automatically want to do it."  Okay,  that is probably a little too brief even for my digital time display, but Paul draws the conclusion that though the Law taught him right from wrong, it also instill in him a desire to do the very thing he was commanded not to do.  Only by Christ dying for us is he (Paul) able to put aside these desires.
Here again, I have to disagree with Paul.  Right from wrong is not just a Biblical thing, it is cultural, even familial.  Other cultures, other religions give their societies structure and rules and regulations just as Judaism and Christianity do.  And unfortunately for my nature, the fact that Jesus died for my sins has done almost nothing to reduce my desire to do bad things.  I would definitely get into trouble with the whole 'anger in your head thing' that Jesus talks about in Matthew 5:21-26.  Paul definitely got a larger dose of Jesus in his heart than I did.  (Sarcasm intended)
Hard wading through Paul.  But I am trying and I encourage you to do as well.

Proverbs : 19:22-23
What a man desires is unfailing love; better to be poor than a liar.
Huh?  How do those things even remotely go together?  Can anyone postulate on this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment