An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Monday, July 9, 2012

July 10

OT -- 1 Chronicles 9:1-10:14
I am beginning to think that the compiler of Chronicles had a serious case of ADD. He does not stay on one topic for very long and skips from genealogy to history back to genealogy and doesn't even stay in the same time period. I am pressing on through but I find it very disconcerting to read.

Psalm 8:1-9
"When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?"

One of my favorite classical pieces used to be Gustav Holst's The Planets. Don also likes it and one of our first dates was to hear part of it performed by the Atlanta Symphony orchestra. When I read the above verse from psalm 8, it reminded me of that evening because the work is so overwhelming that you feel much of the music in your body.
Listen to this rendition of the movement of Mars:


I actually knew nothing about Holst or what his vision for the music was. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that he really disliked this piece of music!
Check out this website

Are there musical pieces that remind you of the celestial?

Proverbs 18:23-24
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Did you notice the modifier to friend? *A* If you have one such friend who sticks by you through it all, how rich you are! And if you are the friend, what powerful loyalty you have!


No comments:

Post a Comment