An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, December 6, 2012

December 7

NT -- 3 John 3:1-14
Dear friends, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God.

I do so love the philosophy of John. Loyalty. Love. Good Behavior.
Of course, sometimes what I think is good behavior turns out not to be but still, we should strive to be good, right?
I think he and Paul probably quarreled a lot over their various philosophies. Acts says nothing about those quarrels but I can imagine them.
Paul, with his wordy, appositive phrases and run on sentences. John with his clear vision of just loving, doing good, taking care of one another in words and phrases that everyone can understand and take hold of. Unfortunately for me, Paul won out in the 'best apostle' race.

Proverbs 29:12-14
The poor man and the oppressor have this in common: The Lord gives sight to the eyes of both.
What do you think this means?
Does it mean that God gives gifts to everyone -- good and bad?
Or does it mean that the poor man can see he is oppressed and the oppressor can see that he is behaving badly?
I feel so often with these proverbs that I am missing a key component of the logic. I do not see how the two relate.

3 weeks, 3 days until the end. Stay focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment