An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Sunday, December 23, 2012

December 24

Christmas Eve
I had two terrible dreams last night and both were vivid and disturbing. The first one was so awful that it woke me up and I had to get up. The second happened just before I woke up this morning and when I did, I was absolutely convinced that the dream HAD happened.
Revelation is like that for me. While I know that John was writing 'in code' and in imagery that was immediately recognizable to his readers, it has such a dream-like, fantastic quality that I associate it with bad dreams. I guess if it comes true, it WILL be bad waking dreams for the unsaved.

Proverbs 30:224-28
Four things on earth are small, yet they are extremely wise: ants are creatures of little strength, yet they store up their food in the summer; coney (rabbits) are creatures of little power, yet they make their home in the crags; locusts have no king, yet they advance together in rank; a lizard can be caught with the hand, yet it is found in kings' palaces.

I am fascinated by ants. Here are some weird facts I know about them:
They are extremely strong (sorry Solomon). Most can lift several times their own body weight and haul things long distance.
They are in a constant state of war against those who share their physical space. Like human beings, their aim is to enlarge their territory with their genetic markers.
All ants that we come into contact with are female. Males have wings and exist only for fertilizing the queen who is the only one who reproduces. This happens in the air. Once the fertilization takes place, if the males return to the nest, the warriors will pull the wings off and leave the males to starve to death. It's not easy being a male insect.
All ants in a nest are genetically the same.
Ants 'talk' to one another via pheromones -- and they 'smell' these through their antennae.
Ants farm.
Ants understand about cleanliness and disease.

I think, if I could re-choose what to do with my life, I would study insects.

On this most holy of days, I bid you peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment