An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, December 13, 2012

December 14

OT - Jonah

One year, when I was studying the OT in an in depth Bible study, I attempted for the High Holy Days -- Rosh Hashannah to Yom Kippur -- to keep kosher and to keep to the Jewish prayers. I had bumped into a rabbi who was willing to 'loan' me a prayer book -- okay, he told me that no one loans a prayer book, it is given but in my defense I fully expected to give it back -- and I tried. I also went to synagogue on both of the days. Whoa.
If you get grumpy when your minister runs on past 12 o'clock, best stay away from the synagogue on the High days. 3 hours was the 'abbreviated' service for families with children. I had none but buddy, I pretended. It is hard for this ADD girl to sit that long in panty hose and high heels.
At some point, they called all the children up to the front like we do for our time with the children and had them help tell the story of Jonah and the whale. Only, they didn't stop like Christian children do with the vomit scene. No, they went the whole way and apparently, it was a great honor to say the final line of the skit "Should I not be concerned about that great city?" I say it was an honor because as I remember it, no less than 4 or 5 young boys each said the line.
I have often pondered that whole episode in my spiritual life and on Yom Kippur this year, I happened to check what the haftorah (the small portion of scripture) was. Imagine my shock when I discovered it was Jonah. Again. So, I started poking. Jonah, the entire book of Jonah is ALWAYS the haftorah scripture for Yom Kippur.
Click here to read a possible reason why. Then go back and read Jonah with fresh, new eyes. I know I did.

NT -- Revelation 5:1-14
Important Roman documents like wills and transfer of property were sealed with 7 seals. Basically, they were written a bit at a time, rolled forwarded, sealed, then written some more with a seal sealing that portion. This was to prevent someone from reading the document that was not authorized.
In our scripture today, the Lamb is the only one who was worthy to open the scroll. Jesus, of course, the Paschal Lamb, the one who was sacrificed for our sins is the only one to worthy to open such a sacred document.
Just as there would be a witness to reading a will, the creatures of heaven are present when the Lamb aka Jesus unrolls the scroll given to him by God to read the fate of creation.

I find it terrible interesting that we have the Day of Atonement scripture bumping up against our personal Atonement - the Lord Jesus Christ.

May we lean into the forgiveness that stands ready for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment