An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

December 6

NT -- 2 John
The whole of this book is included in today's scripture. And can I just say, I have absolutely no memory of having ever read or studied this scripture! I realize that I have written some version of this statement multiple times over the course of this year but really, I actually considered myself fairly well versed in Bible before I started this trek. I now realize just how incredibly little I had read much less studied or heard taught or preached.

the letter in English opens with: To the chosen lady and her children. In Greek, that all translates as Kyria. Occasionally this is used in reference to church. And it may well be here. But I prefer a different take. What if there really was a true lady of the church whom John had befriended on one of his journeys and he had heard some not so nice news about what they were believing (that Jesus wasn't really a man in the flesh)and had taken pen to write her a brief, lovely little note to remind her?
That sounds so much nicer than -- to a church. Also, I love that whole little part at the end, 'I have much to write you but I do not want to use paper and ink.' Or in today's parlance -- email.
Keep the faith, dear Kyria.

No comments:

Post a Comment