An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Monday, December 10, 2012

December 11

OT -- Amos 4:1-6:14
Even then, O Lord, women were called 'cows' in an unkind way.

The basic rebuke of Amos for Uzziah is that he oppresses the poor and does not let them have their day in court.
vs. 15 Hate evil, love good;
maintain justice in the courts.
Perhaps the Lord God Almighty will have mercy
on the remnant of Joseph.

and the ever famous vs. 21-24
I hate, I despise your religious feasts;
I cannot stand your assemblies.
Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offering,
I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them.
Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.
But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Martin Luther King Jr may have used this a bizillion times in speeches but Amos said it first.


NT -- Revelation 2:18-3:6
In today's scripture, John writes to Thyatira and Sardis.
To Thyatira, their big problem is a woman who apparently is sexually immoral and into the whole eating the food of idols thing. She apparently holds a lot of sway in the congregation and has other folk following her. Her name, by the way, is not Jezebel. Just like yesterday's hyperbole in Amos with the 3 sins, not for 4, calling a woman Jezebel is supposed to invoke Ahab's horrible, nasty wife of 2 Kings. Her end was gross -- she was pushed out a window and dogs licked up her blood from the pavement. John knows that his use of this name will shock some people but he is clearly displeased with her teachings of 'free love'.

In Sardis, they are not 'on fire for the Lord'. He wants them to 'wake up' and get going. I think this may be what most of the churches I belong to fall into. Probably me as well....

Peace and Hope to each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment