An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, June 7, 2012

June 8

OT --1 Kings 3:4-4:34
I first heard the story of the two babies, one alive, one dead and the two mothers as a small child. Mother had a Children's Bible that had pictures and short stories and she read to Alfred, Debbie and me each evening. Of all the stories that she read, this one is the only one I remember.
I even remember the picture, Solomon is sitting sideways on his throne and the two women (I don't think the Children's called them prostitutes....) are at his feet with the baby wrapped in a white blanket. There is a man with a raised sword to the side.
Why this story would stick in my mind and not, say, Jonah, I have no idea.
I do know that even to this day, the story haunts me.
Today, one of my co-workers whose son was at Disney World last week for his one year anniversary said that at dinner at a Disney restaurant, a man with two children overheard their plans. The man said his wife had taken ill and if they would take his children -- 7 & 9 year old boys -- on the ride, he would give them their tickets which were for 3 hours earlier. That way, the man could go back and check on his wife.
My first response was that if Don had ever handed Matthew and Cole over to a perfect stranger, I would have killed him. Okay, this couple looks and acts and really are very, very nice. But they are strangers.
Even as a young child, I knew the dead baby's mother should never have any more children. Her value of that child's life was less than her pride.
Is our time worth less than the safety and wholeness of our children?

It is amazing to me that DAvid would be the O Favored one and not wise, wealthy Solomon.

No comments:

Post a Comment