An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Monday, June 18, 2012

June 19

Psalm 137
My favorite psalm. I think this is true because I loved Linda Ronstadt's version of the psalm. I had this LP and had no problems singing along with this YouTube.


However, in searching for the Linda version, I stumbled across this one and loved it even more -- especially for the costumes. Yes, I was a child of the 70s.



If your email does not display YouTube, click HERE.


When you think of the music of your childhood, what do you remember? My mother had a record player that folded into the wall of her desk in the kitchen. We had several LPs that we played over and over. Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass. Shirley Bassie singing GoldFinger and other hits. Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang soundtrack. And I could sing all the songs on all the records. Not like my sister Debbie could and does, but I knew them all.
But two weeks ago in church, we sang a song and I was immediately transported back to my mother's yellow kitchen, with the ironing board setup and sitting in a yellow highbacked kitchen chair with my feet propped up on the side of the oven. Mother had a greatest hits of Gospel songs and Great is thy Faithfulness was one of them.
Does that happen to you? Why do you suppose that is? I swear, I could almost smell the Niagara Starch that my mother used.
I just looked at her, standing beside me, smiled and we sang it together.

Blessings to each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment