An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Friday, June 1, 2012

june 2

NT -- JOhn 21:1-25
The final chapter in John. What have we learned about Jesus from reading this book? I think my greatest impression that I have come away from John with is that Jesus was a riddler. And I am still not sure why. But he is very, very human in John with needs and wants and desires that seem very natural to me.
Here is a great sermon from Owen Stepp on these passages from John. Skip to minute 26 to get right to sermon although the choir has a SMOKIN' anthem just before it that is uber-worthy!
Click here to see it.

Proverbs 16:16-17
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver.

It is the first of the month and bills are due. This proverb is not resonating well with me today.
Long ago, when I had quit work to stay home with the boys and we were on a shoestring budget, I read in Sarah Ban Breathnach's book Simple Abundance, that you should have a routine and ritual for paying bills. Good, bad month, no difference. Soothing music, nice clothes and makeup on so you can pop right on out to the postbox with your completed, a nice cup of chamomile tea to tide you over the bumpy patch.
I laughed then, but now, not so much.
Is wisdom better than gold? Is it better to be smart and savvy rather than filthy rich?
If Solomon wrote this proverb, how on earth did he know? He was never poor.
If I sound down, it is because I paid my bills without my routine, in a hurry, without my tea and in a sweat from mowing a lawn. Then I raced out to the bank, got in an ugly traffic jam and a big argument.
I am thinking I am having bad bill karma.
What is your relationship to money? does it interfere, hinder, or enhance your relationship to God? And when money is tight or non-existent, how does that affect the God-you tightrope? Do you pray about money? Or should you not be crass and just pray for wisdom to know better to earn more?
Matthew is peeping over my shoulder right now and says I should delete this post as you shouldn't talk about money at church. Bad form. But it is a very real factor in my life and I cannot think I am alone.
At the stoplight, just before I crossed Roswell Road, I had my money pep talk. You know, the one that goes "We have enough for today, tomorrow and then some. We know how to be cheap, to conserve. We have always had food on the table and a roof over our head. Be at peace. We are provided for." But part of me wants to be rich and never having to worry about bills ever again. And that part doesn't much care about wisdom, I am afraid. Just shopping.

Grace and Peace to each of you.

2 comments:

  1. This is just too weird! You are the only person I have ever known [other than the folks I gave the book to] that has even mentioned Simple Abundance! One of my all time favorites and I haven't thought about it in months. Just went to find my copy-- and where I had bookmarked Nov. 10th, The Gaps [a passage that actually reminds my of you, Sylvia !]

    As far as money goes, I am probably the last person to say when and when not to discuss it. When I see you, ask me about my financial fiasco last month. : - ) I will say this though-- it seems like the more money you have, the more you worry about losing it. From what I have read, wealthier people are not any happier-- although I must admit to wishing that I could at least see what it would be like!
    Thanks for a great post- be at peace, my friend- L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L,
    I had to go get my copy and read that day. Sarah quotes Annie Dillard in that essay. This is the second time in 24 hours that I have bumped into something Annie Dillard wrote and I have no idea who she is. I have ordered several of her books from the library.
    As far as the doubting goes, I had long ago decided that this was just who I am and surely there must be a reason for it. I will say, this study is kicking that sentiment to the ground as I find myself with more, not less, doubts and things long pushed down or aside are continually brought to the forefront of my conscience. Maybe that is the point of this study for me, I don't know. I am trying to hold those sentiments at bay and just live with them.
    Thank you for your continual support. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete