An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Friday, August 31, 2012

September 1

OT -- Job 40:1-42:17
And so we end Job. How do you feel about it now? Me, I am dissatisfied as always. Partly because, okay, so Job got a lot more animals and had a bunch more children. With another wife, I am sure as there is no way his previous wife could have borne that many more children that late in life.
But more children do not replace the ones Satan killed. Full of years, who cares?
And God DID NOT answer Job. Gosh darn it, I want an answer. Why do you (God) allow bad things to happen to people? And don't give me this nonsense about you creating the world. Of course you did. That is not an answer.
I think, and this is just me, that the true answer is that we are not big enough to see the whole picture. And death is definitely part of that picture.
Do you remember the movie "Death takes a Holiday"? It was made in 1934, remade in 1971 as a TV movie (I saw that one first) and then again a year ago as "Meet Joe Black" with Brad Pitt. Missed that one.
The premise of the movie is that Death is an emissary from God and is necessary on multiple levels, regardless of his (Death)feelings for individual people, places and times. Death, literally, cannot be stopped or the world as we know it ceases to be.
And I am not just talking about the dying who want to be released. I am talking about how precious life is if we know the end could be any time, any place. Without that possibility, yes, I waste oh so precious time.

People have pondered the meaning of Job since before there were written scrolls of Job. This is another one for the long list to talk to God about when I finally get my opportunity.

College Football starts tomorrow for Matthew -- he is videotaping The Blue Hose in their home opener. Whoever you pull for, may the game be fun, fair, and full of video moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment