An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Friday, August 10, 2012

August 11

NT -- 1st Corinthians 7:1-24
Paul, Paul, Paul.
You can't say "not I, but the Lord" about divorce but then bloop over the circumcision part. Circumcision is such an enormous, enormous part of being Jewish. I would venture to guess that this is a deal breaker with Jews. No circumcision, not in a relationship with God.
And the scriptures that Paul quotes is Mosaic. Straight out of Deuteronomy.

But, other than that, I have other issues with Paul over this passage.
What an arrogant S.O.B. the man must have been. Who would have wanted to have been his friend? "I wish that all men were as I am." Give me a break.

I am surrounded by men. I have always worked with a predominantly male bunch of guys. My children are men. Heck, even my dog and cat are male.
I do not know of ANY males that don't think constantly of sex.
Paul is such an idiot about this whole thing. The Catholic Church is an idiot about the whole sex thing. Only for keeping you from Satan. Only for procreation. Only if you can't control yourself should you marry. Kiss my you-know-what.
And sex is the only reason for getting married?

I listened to an amazing Fresh Air today that pitted the Bishop in charge of reforming the vast majority of Catholic nuns. "The Vatican recently announced that it would completely make over the Leadership Conference of Women Religious because of its "radical feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith." Sister Pat Farrell, who heads the organization, says many of the charges are unsubstantiated."
Go here to listen to an abbreviated interview with the nun in charge and an interview with the Bishop in charge of reforming her and her compatriots. I don't envy his task, let me say. She is a formidable opponent and furthermore, she is right.
Her stance is exactly and diametrically opposed to Paul's. I would love to hear Sister Pat teach on 1st Corinthians.

Whew! Yesterday Ezra, today 1st Corinthians. And a whole week of Cole's school. I am exhausted! I am hopeful for a lovely, lovely psalm to send me off to dreamworld!

No comments:

Post a Comment