An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

August 30

NT -- 2 Corinthians 4:1-12
Can you tell the difference in the writing style between 1st and 2nd Corinthians? The person that Paul is dictating his letter to is different. Sosthenes is named the scribe in 1st Corinthians and Timothy is named the scribe in 2nd.
I personally find Timothy's style easier to read and less long winded. I imagine it was hard to edit Paul but every scribe had to or the readers would have complained about bad grammar, dangling thoughts, etc. Not in the way our English teachers do today but letter writing for others is a skill that requires a delicate balance between communicating what the sender says and what they MEAN. Much like our texting or emailing that has no emoticons so we have no idea if the sender is JK (just kidding) or LOL (laughing out loud) or LMAO (laughing their *ss off).

In this selection of 2 Corinthians, I love the comparisions that are made:
hard pressed but not crushed
perplexed but not in despair
persecuted but not abandoned
struck down but not destroyed

I think Paul/Timothy wanted it made very clear that while things weren't great, they were far from being in a pit.
And the very next time I am challenged by a situation and feeling like venting, I am going to yank out my index card and see where I fall in the comparisons.
Today, at the Driver's License place, I was perplexed but not in despair. For all my Georgia women readers, when you go to get your license renewed, and you WILL have to go as it is a fancy/dancy new license, be sure you take your Marriage Certificate or whatever legal document you have to show why the name on your birth certificate is not the one on your social security card. Yes, I know I had to bring it when I changed my name after I married Don, but that is not good enough. And while I had a really nice window person who let me slide by with a copy, most of them are asking for originals. And in 15 minutes -- shortest time EVER at the DDS -- I had my new license. It did require 2 trips. Thus the perplex. And $32. Maybe that is persecution?
I joke but I can so see how Government red tape can crush someone or throw them into a despair. I escaped and in 2-4 weeks will have a new, security feature loaded license. I will not be posting a picture of it. Like all licenses, the picture is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment