An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August 8

OT -- Ezra 7:1-8:20
Our introduction to Ezra is through his lineage, clearly establishing him as a direct descendant of Aaron, Moses' brother and the start of the priestly line. A scholar, he was hand picked by Artaxerxes to lead a group of Exiles back to finish out the Temple and reestablish the sacrifices and worship of God in Jerusalem. Persian kings weren't Jewish. But they respected and allowed conquered peoples' religions even to the point of non-taxation and tolerance.
Ezra calls for returnees and discovers that no priests took up the challenge. So, he directly summons them and off they go. It was a 4 month journey from Babylon to Jerusalem. It was also fraught with danger -- both human and non-human varieties.
If Ezra is like any of the scholars I know, he probably was not in the greatest of shape and this will be arduous for him but I guess that is for tomorrow.

Proverbs 20:28-30
The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old.
Well, I have to admit it. I color my hair. This proverb is not my fave.

And the one that follows:
Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.
Well, that makes me absolutely ill.

I must be tired. Perhaps this will look different in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment