An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August 29

OT --Job 31:1-33:33
"If I, ...If I, ...If I, ..." See, Job can say these thing -- If I have walked in falsehood, If my heart has been enticed by a woman, If I have denied the desires of the poor."
I cannot.
I know that so many, many times I have done badly. And this is why the character of Job intrigues me so much. I don't think that he is being boastful. I just think he is simply good. And has his rules and regulations and follows them. Now, this is a very Jewish philosophy. It doesn't matter so much the 'intent', it matters the action. Even if you diet because you are going to your high school reunion and you want to show up your ex-boyfriend, the diet is a good thing. Well, as long as you follow it. Christians, now they care about intent and intent is the main thing.
This is how the Young Ruler of the Jesus parable can honest and truly say he has followed all the commandments all his life. He probably did. And how Jesus can look him in the eye and say "You lack one thing". And this is why *I*, of lifelong Protestant work ethic guilt can say: I have done badly when in reality, I have been really, for the most part, pretty good. Both of us are being true to our traditions and both of us are trapped.
Come on, God, answer Job quickly before both of us slide into that pit.

No comments:

Post a Comment