An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Janyuary 22


Psalm – Well, it didn’t take long for the ‘slewing’ now did it? Maybe I should read a couple of days ahead so I can make sure I won’t be biting my tongue.
To be incredibly blunt, and I know there are readers out there who will take issue with this, the theology in this last part of Psalm 18 about God killing the enemies of David is not something I believe. I do not believe that God kills other people on behalf of his O Favored One. Mostly, because I think we are ALL his O Favored Ones.
My study Bible notes say this Psalm is in response David’s great slaughter of Saul’s descendants. Here are the main verses that lays me out: 2 Samuel 21:1 During David’s reign, there was a severe famine which last for three full years. So David consulted the Lord about it, and the Lord said, “Saul and his family are guilty of murder; he put the people of Gibeon to death. ..vs 9 David handed them (the family of Saul except for Jonathan’s son)to the people of Gibeon, who hanged them on the mountain before the Lord.
There were 5 women involved in this slaughter. Now, I have watched the Connie of the Godfather movies and I know that women are just as culpable as men in the grand scheme of murder. And maybe these women were bad. But they weren’t killed for their own sins, they were hanged for their FATHER’S. And at the behest of the Lord, according to David.
Okay, I am pressing on.

Proverbs – The term ‘stumbling block’ or ‘ feet stumble’ was a contribution of William Tyndale to the English translation of the Bible. In his day, the word ‘block’ meant a tree stump. What men were stumbling over in his day were tree stumps. Not the current image we have of stumbling blocks with our smooth sidewalks and lovely asphalt highways. However, in ancient Israel, the roads and pathways were even worse than 15th century England. Rutted, washed out, jagged cliffs, boulders and wadis that at the merest mention of rain would overwhelm you. You lifted your eyes from the path at your peril. One of the constant images from Proverbs, Psalms and much of the other Wisdom literature in the OT is of life being a journey or a walk. Stumbling, straying, tripping or just plain going the wrong way on the path are likened to disobedience to God’s ways. I love this spiritual. I hope to follow its message. http://books.google.com/books?id=qjEYEjVVEosC&pg=PA823&lpg=PA823&dq=stumble+feet+in+bible&source=bl&ots=IsP508yJuQ&sig=ept3bRecN19n47QwzcrKogDK5EA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dWwbT4LIKoihtweg0_iZCw&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=stumble%20feet%20in%20bible&f=false



NT -- I have always loved the image of Jesus walking on the water. But I had forgotten it followed Jesus finding out about John and feeding the 5000. If you have ever seen my Bible cover, it is a lovely fabric depiction of the feeding. My sister Debbie bought this for me and everywhere I go, it gets compliments. Tonight, when I was reflecting on the feeding, it struck me that one of Jesus’ most profound miracles (it is one of the 7 stories that are in all 4 gospels) comes immediately after he receives the blow of John’s death. And he held his own grief in check until the people were healed, the people were fed and he had gotten his disciples set for the trip back. That is amazing self-control. But then, he ALLOWED himself the private time to grieve and be with God. What a clear model we have in Jesus for grief and so many, many other things.

May your Sunday be a day of rest and rejuvenation. Blessings on your readings.

1 comment:

  1. Sis if you believe that God will at some point judge all of us. If you believe in the sorting between heaven and hell, that Jesus described in the parable a few days ago. Then You believe in the ultimate death sentence that God imposes on unbelievers and evildoers. Therefore, it would illogical to assume that God would not impose a death sentence in this life. I understand that it might not fit in well with a politically correct modern day interpretation about what God would and would not do. I also understand that does sit well with the emotional and sentimental view of God. But that is denying not only the stories in the Bible but logical thought as well.

    I don't really like this view of God. Mostly because I fear this type of judgement on myself and on those around me whom I love and care about but who do not believe in Jesus. However, there are too many, way too many, stories in both the OT and NT that illustrate this view. In fact, a great many of Jesus' own teachings illustrate this view of God as the ultimate Judge. But not liking it is not the same as denying it. Maybe you meant to post that you don't like this view and not that you deny it. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete