An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 20

OT – Just as a clarification, and you may not have been tripped up by this like I was, Joseph was thrown into prison by Potiphar. He was given the daughter of Potiphera. 2 separate people. Okay, now that I have gotten that off my chest, here is something that has always driven me crazy. Why didn’t Joseph just kill those brothers of his? I would have held onto such a grudge against them. Or sent them away with no grain? Why the whole subterfuge? Or just sold them the grain and been done with them. Depending on where he is in the hate cycle, of course. I get that it has been at least many years since the selling occurred but do you ever get over that??? No matter how self-aware you are, you still smart over the O Favored One from childhood. This YouTube is from Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I had to choose the Donny Osmond version. I am sorry but I spent way too many years watching the Donny and Marie Show and reenacting the “I’m a Little bit Country, I’m a little bit rock ‘n roll” not to choose that one!

NT – as a gardener, I can tell you, even if you do pull up some of the wheat, you have to pull the weeds. If you don’t, the weeds will literally overtake the good plants and you will get no harvest. There are even people who believe that weeding aerates the soil and is good for that specific purpose, if for no other. So, I don’t understand Jesus’ parable.
In our own lives, don’t we need to pull the weeds out? Push away the ones that would cause us to sin, or to use yesterday’s terminology, to allow the demons into our clean houses? Or just to turn this on its head, maybe some of us are the weeds. Can I just say, I hope it isn’t me.
Psalm -- I continue to be fascinated and intrigued by the imagery in Psalms. I have no idea why, now, these are appealing to me when NEVER before have I cared a whit about them. Oh, I liked the saving ones. I liked the ones that comforted me. But I wasn't really interested in the images they put forth until this study. Which is really weird for me since I profess not to like poetry!
But today, the image that struck me was the 'horn of salvation' (vs. 2). What kind of horn? Like trumpet? Bugle? Then I thought, well, look it up. So I did and the very first website I popped into had incredible insight. Please go check it out by clicking here. Be sure to read through some of the comments. I found them more fascinating than the original piece.

Friends, I am grateful for the ones who are reading this blog. Thank you for your dedication and your love and praise whenever I bump into you.

4 comments:

  1. I started singing Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat last night. My kids think I am crazy of course. This was my first musical. Not sure if I can still sing every word but I can come close. I still love Donny Osmond. Joseph knew that all the harm meant for him in his life God used for His glory. He had no need to kill his brothers. We should reconcile with our family no matter what. Even my mother who takes all her unhappiness out on me.

    People really did plant something called darnel in their enemies wheat field which made you sick. This may be referring to false believers and God will handle this at judgement. We may even go to church with these folks and we are still suppose to love them.

    Yeast is offen referred to as evil because it permeates and spreads like a cancer, like a bad apple or the damage a false believer can do. Here is seems to be a positive. Small faith can grow and accomplish big things.
    It is interesting Jesus flipped it's meaning.

    I keep wanting to put these Proverbs on my son's mirror.

    For those on the year journey:
    "Take hold of my words with all your heart; keep my command, and you will live. Get wisdom (keeps coming up!), get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that Joseph's reactions in almost every situation are exactly the opposite of what I would do. Maybe that is why I personally find this story so powerful. Joseph works hard as a slave and he is ultimately rewarded by being thrown in jail. Joseph does not despair as I might have. Instead he works hard is placed in position of authority in the jail. When he interprets the dreams correctly of the cupbearer and baker, he expects to get out of jail. Instead he is forgotten. Again I think I might have become despondent. Instead he works hard and waits for God to deliver him. When he gets out and becomes 2nd in command over all Egypt, he finally gets his brothers who started this misery on their knees. I think that I would have taken revenge. But Joseph doesn't. Whether he is down or up, Joseph does what is right. A great example.

    I love the musical "Joseph and the Amazing Technocolor Dreamcoat". My wife, Kim, can literally say and sing the words to all the parts for the entire musical.

    Sis, I think that a problem that you are having with the parable is that You are thinking about weeding a garden where the good plants far outnumber the weeds. However, if the field were mostly weeds and only a few good plants, pulling out the weeds during the growing season would kill not only the weeds but the good plants as well. A difficult thought if you apply the parable to our world.

    Psalm 18. There seem to be a myriad of hymns and praise songs that based on this Psalm. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreams have always fascinated me, although I've never been much of a dreamer (or perhaps I just don't remember the dreams). The notion of dreams being a vehicle of divine revelation has particularly fascinated me. Has anybody out there received a word from God through dreams?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseph's brothers meant to do him harm but God made something good come out of it and kept the Israelites from starving to death.

    ReplyDelete