An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, January 5, 2012

January 6

Psalm 6 is really an amplification of the first stanza of the Beatitudes that we read yesterday. Even in our worst moments, the Lord is there with us. I find that really comforting. I have had some really bad moments and I have to say, lots of them come during the night. I do not know why that is but 3 AM is my witching hour. I can really work into some majoring worrying, self-arguing, self-deprecation at 3. Here is a trick that someone in my Sunday School class told me years ago. He said that when these times come upon you, claim whatever it is that is troubling you as a blessing and give thanks for it. Most of the time, I can do this. The death of my brother Nathan is one I haven’t yet been able to be grateful for.
Then, after you have given thanks for that blessing, start listing your other blessings. You will fall back asleep and the moment will pass as you lie in God’s arms. That is what I think Psalm 6 says to us.

And after feeling all snuggly and warm from that wonderful Psalm, I bumped into the Matthew passage. Vs 38-42 really punched a hole in my feel-good attitude. How hard is that? Who can hold their hand to their side when someone punches them, symbolically or not? Or the giving thing. Today, I talked to one of our chain operators who had to fire someone for stealing. She said that if the employee had asked, they would have loaned her the money. That they had never refused an employee loan. When I asked her why, she said this “Grady (that is the owner) follows the Gospel. “ I think she was talking about this passage. But do I do that? What about all the charities that call? Or the beggars at the MARTA stations? I pass them by. Not without a pang, I assure you. But I expressly don’t do that.
I think I have read the Sermon on the Mount probably 50 times. I once heard my preacher give the Sermon without any notes. Now that was amazing. But the words and the images and how far I am from walking the path of Jesus still rumples my soul. I seem no closer than I was at 20 when I first studied this section of the Bible.

And just a couple of points about the OT reading: Vs 18 with Melchizedek is an important passage. Doesn’t that look like Communion to you? So I looked up Melchizedek and here is some of the information I found:
1. Many of the early rabbis quoted in the Midrash (the Jewish book of commentary written in the early 1 and 2nd centuries on the Torah), think Melchizedek is Shem, Noah’s son. And that the place that he is king of “Salem” is actually Jerusalem. If that were so, Shem would be 465 years old (still alive according Genesis 11:11) and Abram would have been 75. They think this because of the Hebrew word Kohen which is given to Shem by Noah after the wine incident. That same noun is what is translated as ‘priest of God Most High” in 13:18. Shem was the first priest according to some rabbis. Others argued for Adam although he was never given that title.
2. Melchizedek is also mentioned in Psalm 110 which was comparing King David to Melchizedek as far as being a High Priest. Why this is so fascinating to the rabbis is that neither Shem nor David is of the Aaronic priestly line. Even in early 1st century commentary, the rabbis were arguing against the whole priestly regime in Jerusalem and did not mourn its passing after the destruction of the Temple in AD 70. Were the priests of the Temple in Jerusalem not worthy? Sure sounds like it! Something to remember when we get to the Jerusalem scenes with Jesus and his followers.
3. Melchizedek is mentioned one other time, this time in The Letter to the Hebrews in the NT. That compares Jesus to Melchizedek as High Priest. You will also note that Jesus is not of Aaron’s line and therefore did not qualify to be a priest in the Temple.


And as a side note, please comment. My page count is showing views but few comments. There is much debate at the McAdam dinner table as to whether the page views are real or ‘bots’. Since I don’t know what a ‘bot’ is and really don’t want to find out, let me know that you are out there and reading. There are instructions for posting in a previous post or if you would rather, you can email me at : Sylvia.mcadam@yahoo.com

For me, I am going to fall back to lovely Psalm 6 in the comforts of my Lord’s loving care. Blessings to you.

3 comments:

  1. I have read this morning. Actually read next Friday's as well. Probably should have more coffee to help me focus!
    Reading the Proverbs passage, I switched over to the Good News translation and the last few verses spoke to me.
    Trying to understand and follow God's will, how often have I just wanted to lay down and take a time out.
    Because it's hard, or I don't understand or I'm frustrated, etc. etc.
    But eventually I do get up and keep pressing forward.
    And I understand where your coming from on counting a sorrow as a blessing.
    That is a tall order.
    But I might try it the next time my witching hour comes at 2:00am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I have been faithfully following and truely enjoying your commentary. Your time and thoughtful heartfelt observations have been a great gift to me and I thank you. It's a brillant way to begin our New Year. Gratefully, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another really commentary. I must have been asleep while reading it because I did to get the whole Shem/Melchizedek thing.

    I love how Jesus reframes the 10 Commandments in the Sermon on the Mount. He changes it from something active like adultery into the thoughts that go on in our brain like lust. Talk about the raising the bar. I find it hard enough not to hit someone that Has hit me but Jesus says that even thinking about striking back is wrong and maybe even we should love them. Tough.

    Don't know if I have ever heard anyone quote Psalm 6 but it is a really good one

    Thanks again Sylvia for setting this up. I hope that more people start to post. It is good to get another perpesctive. I went back and read the Proverbs passage in Good News as Lisa talks about above and found that version to really speak to as well.

    ReplyDelete