An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Monday, January 9, 2012

January 10


NT -- That phrase 'under authority' has been in and out of my mind for the last several days. In Matthew 7:29, Jesus is the one who had authority. Now it is the centurion stating that as well. Just as a reminder, the story of the centurion would not have gone down very easily to Matthew's listeners. Matthew was written after the destruction of the Temple by the Romans and NO ONE was despised more than the occupying soldiers who had obliterated the most sacred landmark for the Jewish people. The Romans conquered Judea in 63 BCE but 30 years later, when Augustine rose to power, it was still considered 'one of the unsettled regions'. It really was not until Herod (of the baby killing fame) really put the hammer to the Jews that there was relative peace in Judea. Herod, of course, did this by having spies, killing those who even sounded like they opposed him, and by appeasing the upper classes with all things Roman and glorious.
So, here we have a CENTURION of all people showing up after Jesus' magnificent sermon and asking for healing for his servant because clearly Jesus is 'under authority'. And Jesus really praises this guy. 'No one in Israel...' I know the authority to be God but did the centurion?
And the healings. This has special significance to me today as I am running a fever myself. Always before when I read that verse about the healing of Peter's mother-in-law and how she jumped up and started serving Jesus and his followers, I had an bit of an attitude about it. But today, having suffered all day long from what I think is the 'flu, I would be more than happy to jump up and start serving Jesus if he would heal me. Never before has that verse meant so much to me.
OT -- I do love this story. I love that Abraham really had thought out who he wanted Isaac (at least 37 years old!!!) to marry. I love that this unnamed servant loves his master so very much that he is willing to travel and do this task. I love that clearly, Rebecca is of Abraham's hospitality bent. And I do so especially love that Isaac loved her. (I know that is tomorrow but I just had to finish the story).

And the last verse in Proverbs -- Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
May we all let go and lean on the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thought about the Centurion. While you and I have differing views about when Matthew was written. I believe that the Romans were hated even before the sack of Jerusalem. After all that was the reason for the revolt. It does not really make a difference to us though. The idea that Roman might have the best kind of faith in all Isreal should give us pause. Who are the "Centurions" around us who have this simple faith? And do we have this kind of faith ourselves?

    I find it interesting to compare the belief of the Centurion to the belief of the unnamed servant from the Genesis passage. Both were seeking a blessing for someone else, both believed that God could and would immediately grant their request and both believed that God's blessing was a result not of kindness but as a sign of His authority of human life. Don't you just love the way these reading from OT and NT weave together in this study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who are the Centurions among us?". I'm going to be thinking about that all week. Thanks Alfred.

    ReplyDelete