An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January 12

I read in a recent blog post from Remarkable Wrinkles that posited the idea that we not do New Year’s Resolutions. Instead what we should do is pick a word for the year. Maybe this is a word of encouragement, maybe a challenge, but the word should choose you. Sort of like the wand choosing the wizard in Harry Potter, I guess.
Now, why would *I* be even remotely taken by this since my New Year’s resolution is to read the Bible in a Year. You know this or you wouldn’t even be here! But I went to the word list anyway and yes, lo and behold, a word did jump out at me. It was Abundance.
In our Proverb for today, that seems counter-intuitive, that if you give away the first fruits, your barns will be overflowing. But, I have experienced this over and over again. Write the first check off the payroll to church and everything else comes into balance. Hold all your money close and it seems as if there isn’t enough.
The Abundance theme is swirling around our reading today. Isaac is in the hold mode – he doesn’t think he has enough blessing for both sons. Which is crazy since just before this, we read of all the wells he dug and how God told him that he was going to be blessed as well as his descendents and how people were terrified of him since he was so well-to-do. Why couldn’t he have at least saved part for the lesser of the sons? I think it was the Abundance theory again. Hold on really tightly since you don’t think Mr. TentDweller is worthy.
The teachers of the law and the Pharisees were also in the hold mode. As in, don’t share the good stuff like healings and the grand party with the unworthy. And then there are John’s disciples. They gave away too much and are resentful of what others have. My theory on that is also Abundance. They didn’t give, they ceased, period. I am with Jesus, for goodness sake, if you have a new dress and great wine, don’t make it look ugly or taste bad just because others may not have everything. Enjoy what you have and then remember to share.
Here is the original blog post and here is the word list that she references. Maybe you will want to check out the word theory. As for me, I am trying keep lessons and remember the Abundance of Bible verses I have already read!
http://remarkablewrinklies.com/2012/the-power-of-words-new-years-resolutions-finally-get-real/
Christine Kane is the author who compiled the word list. It is in her blog post from December 28, 2007
http://christinekane.com/resolution-revolution-a-better-way-to-start-your-year/
The List
Compassion
Delight
Generosity
Effortlessness
Wealth
Gratitude
Abundance
Creativity
Willingness
Change
Growth
Freedom
Mastery
Kindness
Health
Presence
Acceptance
Courage
Confidence
Self-Love
Action
Forgiveness
Forgive
Release
Trust
Knowing
Patience
Friendship
Fun
Grace
Laughter
Love
Expansion
Exploration
Adventure
Openness
Discipline
Awe
Awareness
Risk
Gentleness
Choice
Spirit
Prayerfulness
Power
Allow
Artfulness
Attention
Beauty
Joy
Focus
Ritual
Heal
Order
Clarity
Pioneer
Peace
Laziness
No
Yes
Deliberateness
Commitment
Savor
Integrity
Listen

4 comments:

  1. Another really good post. Sis, you may be sick this week and not able to work but your mind is working fine! The idea of Abundance is rattling around in my head.

    I know that we only 12 days into this but I am amazed at how the readings go together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better Sylvia. YOu're our fearless leader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the well wishes. I am much better though still not totally well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through the list of words with no expectation that one would speak to me, but it did. Savor. I tend to rush through and I need to savor. My kids will be gone before I know it and I need to savor the time I have left with them at home. "To give oneself to the enjoyment of: to savor the best in life. To relish."

      Delete