An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

February 9


OT -- The OT rabbi/scholar Rashi says that not one word in the Torah is there by mistake or should be considered irrelevant. If this is true, what must we make of the elaborate dressing rituals that described in our current spate of readings? Some observations, random though they may seem:
Why did Moses have to dress them? Why did they need Aaron and his sons at all? Moses is clearly sufficient to speak with the Lord and communicate his messages. Why Aaron and his sons? Where are Moses’ sons? By sprinkling the garments with blood every time a new person was invested, wouldn’t there be a lot of blood on the garments? That seems like an awful lot of rams to sacrifice – 2 each day no matter what. Where do these rams come from and why is this meat, from people who are waiting for the bread to drop from the sky and birds to flap down, allowed to be burnt up? Doesn’t this seem a bit elaborate and chic-chic poo-poo for a nomadic people? They have to haul this stuff around with them. And set it up and take it down. Seems like a ton of work?
What do you take away when you read this section of Exodus?

Proverbs -- I had to go back to yesterday’s readings to realize who was speaking. Wisdom is speaking and she has glorious words for those who follow her. Her yields surpass silver. Wisdom comes straight from the Lord and she was ‘appointed’ (present) before He did anything else. In high school English, this is called Personification. (Giving human traits – actions, characteristics, feelings – to inanimate objects, places or ideas.) I think this is a literary device but others have interpreted these types of statements as coming from a Being. If you are interested in knowing more, here is a Sophia (Greek for wisdom) website that gives greater detail.

If you are struggling with trying to keep up with the readings, you are not alone. I received an email today from one reader who wailed (in writing) that she was ‘slogging’ through the OT readings and felt like the Psalms weren’t speaking to her. Every night was an ordeal. I don’t have an answer for that – my feelings for the Psalms range all over the book. We ended up agreeing to pray for each other and for her reading. If you feel this way, please comment. She was so sure that no one else was trudging along. And as for me, I am just grateful that you are along for at least this part of the journey. Walk a little bit farther with me and open your hearts to our Lord.

2 comments:

  1. It is mind boggling how detailed the description is of the tabernacle, it's furnishings, and the clothing. I went to a commentary to further understand and it stressed that it was all meant to teach people about the holiness of God and was filled with symbolism of Christ to come. This sanctuary was built so God could dwell with his people. Later Jesus would live and dwell among his people. The lamps were to burned to represent God's presence and later Jesus would be called the light of the world. The incense represented continual intercession to God which is our prayer life.
    The loaves of bread point to Jesus as the bread of life. This temple curtain (how did they have the thread to make this?) is the curtain that is torn in two from top to bottom opening the way into God's presence forever when Jesus died on the cross. Without the shedding of blood there was no forgiveness. Jesus blood forever erased the need for all this blood shed. Thanks goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are not alone fellow pilgrim! I completely ran out of steam last week. In my younger days if I couldn't do "it" (insert your it of choice) perfectly, I would have chucked the whole experience. Now, I accept that the lapses are part of my process!
    That whole embrace the process continues on into the readings today. The rituals of the tribes of Israel in the OT remain a mystery to me.
    Maybe they make sense if you were an ancient Jew.
    Maybe they make sense if you are a present day Jew.
    I think a large part of my confusion and questioning is because I simply lack the context and history of being Jewish.
    Or maybe not!
    Maybe my Jewish friends are just as in the dark on the whole ritualistic process as I am.
    I have a rabbi friend and a devout Jewish friend.
    I might just ask them for their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete