An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 27


NT -- Mark 9:1-29
When Peter says to Jesus, “let us make for you a shelter, one for you, one for Elijah, and one for Moses” vs. 5; he was actually speaking about making a sukkot, a biblically mandated shelter that Jews make in observation of Sukkot, a weeklong festival honoring the harvest. In a weird coincidence, tomorrow, we will read Moses decreeing the observance of Sukkot or The Feast of Booths. According to the Mishnah, when the Messiah comes, everyone will come to Jerusalem and will live in these shelters made from the branches of trees.
Peter knew that the Messiah had come, he was on the level with the greatest leader – Moses and the greatest prophet – Elijah so all three got their own shelter.
I will post more on Sukkot tomorrow.
This is just an observation but I am glad I am not the only one who needs a ‘sign’ in order to believe. I have been called cynical and I am, I have been called a doubter and I am. But it took walking through the fire and having positive proof that God loves ME and MINE before I was willing to believe. I am glad that the disciples also had that same problem. I would like to think I wouldn’t have needed AS MANY signs as they did but I probably would have. I have such sympathy with the ones who continue to say “what does this mean????”.

Psalm 43
Vs. 3 “Send forth your light and your truth , let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell.” Think Peter knew this psalm? What happened when Jesus went up that mountain? ‘his clothes became dazzlingly white’. This also speaks to the gospel of John I Am statements : “I am the Truth and the Light”.
And who does the psalmist end up praising? His Savior and his God. Amazing how the readings dovetail.

No comments:

Post a Comment