An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

February 22

OT -- This is a bad story on myself but I will tell it anyway. For YEARS!!!! I have used the mildew section of Leviticus 13:47-58 as the reason why I had serious issues with lots of things in the Bible. After all, what god would condemn a person for having mildew on their clothes? I say that, knowing full well, that there is mildew in all three of my showers that I should be bleaching instead of sitting on my fanny, reading.
Well, once again, my Stone Chumash has shown me up.
The whole discussion of mildew in Leviticus is predicated on the fact that they are in the desert. Mildew in the desert is not common and means something so abnormal as to be a ‘sign’. This is what this is – a sign from God that the person who owns these garments is NOT in right relationship with God. So, God sends the mildew, it shows on clothing and leather, and sends the person to the priest to get themselves back to good standing with the Lord.
Even the destruction of the afflicted garment has redemptive qualities. After all, the monetary blow caused by destroying perhaps ½ to a 1/5 of your wardrobe is intense. Again, humbling the afflicted person into getting themselves back to right relationship.

NT -- See how our readings continue to dovetail. The disciples were sent out with how many items of clothing?? One tunic. One. Better not show up at someone’s door with mildew on your sash or there will be body parts on display.
This whole reading in Mark is very brief but it probably encompassed lots of time. If the disciples were walking to a village, gathering a crowd, preaching repentance and then healing and casting out demons; I think this is probably several days to weeks depending on how trusting a village may be. And then for the ‘news’ to reach Herod… I am thinking a good while.

Psalm – Vs 4-5 is such a tempting question to ask. Who wouldn’t want to know their life span? Well, me for one. I see movies and hear people say “what if you just had one week to live?” Cole commented today that a big black cloud was the precursor to zombies. My response? I am going home and baking an entire pan of brownies and eating it all myself. Not going to diet on my last pre-zombie attack day.
In all seriousness, working with the elderly does give you a sense of urgency. You can see all their bad life decisions and the cruelties of aging. It truly makes you value small things like the ability to walk upright, quickly and without stumbling. But I still don’t want to know how long I have. I will just have to try and do the best I can with the knowledge I do have.

On a personal note, my son Matthew is still in a lot of pain from his shoulder injury so we are seeing an orthopedist tomorrow.

Many thanks for taking time out of YOUR day to join me in this Bible study. I had 3 conversations today that all revolved around what I have learned and why I am doing this. I know some of the readings are hard, and seem pointless and maybe even brutal. But in the reading yesterday, we discovered WHY Joseph and Mary took Jesus to the temple and we even got a peek into their financial situation. Why did they go? Because Leviticus said that Mary had to take Jesus to the Temple on the 41st day after his birth for presentation. And they didn’t have enough money for the lamb (the LAMB!!!!) so they paid for 2 doves. And yes, L, there are multiple times that we will read about substitutions.
I find that fascinating and love hearing your thoughts, joys, even struggles, and ponderings.
Blessings to you all.

1 comment:

  1. I will not criticize the Bible but the reading in Leviticus today was more like a medical journal than scripture.

    The reading in Mark contained a quick little flashback to the death of John the Baptist. You can almost hear Peter telling Matk the story and throwinging in the comment by Herod that Jesus must be John the Baptist reincarnated. However, he must have realized that not everyone who is reading this would know the story so we have the flashback.


    Try reading the Proverb today in different versions. I don't know what Hebrew words were used but the translations are all very different I looked at NIV, Message, NLT and Good News. Interesting all make very good but different points.

    I watched Matthew get injured. I know it hurts but that he continued in with his match is one of the gutsiest things I have seen in long time. Praying he gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete