An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Saturday, February 25, 2012

February 26

OT—I know, we have read lots of this before.
This is just another of those incidents where the disagreement over which version was totally right ended up with both in. You just have to read them and move on.
What really interested me is that this version made absolutely no attempt to categorize the Do nots. You have observe my Sabbath between a daughter’s prostitution and don’t turn to mediums.
Many of them are quite interesting to me in the providence of where those social customs arose. For example, the rising in the presence of an elderly person. Can I just say that I got a right smart whipping for that one as a snotty 11 year old? Now I know where that came from. All my mother told me was that “You just do.” And I didn’t, hence the whipping.
And while I had a vague idea about Molech, here is what Wikipedia had to say about him/it. If you are squeamish, you might want to skip this section. Molech was a god worshipped by the Canaanites and the Phoenicians. The worship practices involved child sacrifices by placing a small child/baby in a compartment of a bronze statue that also had flour, other animals, oil, etc. The statue was then heated, killing all including the child while the father stood with the priests, beating a drum so that the cries of the dying child were drowned out.
Leviticus says this is an abomination and I wholeheartedly concur.

Psalm – Many of the psalms have been set to music and are the basis for many, many hymns. Here is a beautiful example of this.



Looking ahead, we will be finishing with Leviticus this coming week. Please stick it out. I know this book is hard but it is really important and has messages for us today.
Also, if you will be in Atlanta on March 4th, I am preaching at our 9 o’clock and 11 o’clock services and would love to have you come and worship with us. Regardless, I would love your prayers as I finish my preparations for this service.
Blessings on your Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment