An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 23

Psalm – This is one of my favorite psalms. I love it for the stark gratitude that is on display from vs. 1- the end which is tomorrow. It also reminds me of things I can do to pull myself out of the ‘slimy pit’.
Here are some things from the psalm:
Sing a new song – I have a whole playlist on my Iphone that is called melancholy. It is full of songs that I can sing to – Take me home Country Roads, Tequila Sunrise, My Immortal. Yes, a lot of them are about sad things and have sad music. But when you sing, you release endorphins and that makes you feel better. Don’t believe me? Make your own playlist and the next time you have the blues, sing them.
Don’t turn aside to the false gods – for me that is food. It is used to be alcohol but Thank you, Jesus, I no longer drink. Everyone has them. It might be shopping, it may be recreational drugs. But when you abuse anything because you feel bad, it is not going to turn out well.
Many are the wonders God has made – get your fanny outside and look up, down, all around. If you can, escape to one of the nature parks in your town and OPEN YOUR EYES. Is it raining or snowing? Look at the National Geographic website – click here – and open their photography section. It will amaze you and show you how incredible our world is, the work of our Lord.
The things God planned for you – our many, many blessings. Write them down. Put them on a slips of paper in a basket as they happen and the next time you start to slide, pull one out and give thanks for the miracles YOU HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED.
I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly – everybody needs a group outside of work and family. A church, a community group, a sorority/fraternity. Once you get there, let everyone know who you belong to and I am not talking about your grandparents. Say out loud how God has blessed you. Then when you are down, there will be folks to comfort YOU who are like-minded.
May your love and truth protect me – from the hazards of bad behavior. Think the Proverbs and keep your feet (idiom or no idiom) on the paths of righteousness.

This Psalm deserves a big mark in your Bible for depression days.

OT- L- here in vs. 21 is another of the switch-out sacrifices. Keep in mind that mildew in a house of this time meant the preserved food was inedible. That would result in starvation at worst or the community having to feed the family at best. Alfred, according to Rashi, the ancient Israelites were not sick. Ever. It is only when they sinned that these physical manifestations showed up. “When Jews lived in their land and conducted themselves according to God’s wishes, there was an aura of holiness upon them, which was reflected even in physical radiance. And if individuals among them sinned, their fall would be reflected in the loss of physical beauty and the appearance of tzaraas (mildew) afflictions on their houses and clothing. Only in the Holy Land could spiritual flaws have such tangible effects.” Stone Chumash p.625
That being said, what on earth does this have to say to us 21st century cleaning freaks? I just listened to a Fresh Air segment where the guest was a mycologist, a person who studies mushrooms. He was talking about the worst place to have a mushroom and it was in your throat! Does this mean that this person was really, really awful? Mildew and mushrooms are both fungus.
I hope someone has a better answer than me other than, well, that was then and in the desert and Israel. Not the same in Atlanta. Home of humidity 100%.

Here are the complete list of songs on my melancholy playlist. Feel free to tell me your songs:
Always on my mind –Elvis
At Seventeen – Janis Ian
Blue Christmas – Elvis
D-I-V-O-R-C-E – Tammy Wynnette
Delta Dawn – Helen Reddy
Do it Again – Steely Dan
Desperado – Linda Ronstadt
Don’t Pull your love out on Me Baby – Joe Frank Hamilton
Early Morning Rain – Peter Paul and Mary
Finally Moving – Pretty Lights
Fallin’ – Alicia Keys
Golden Rings – Tammy Wynnette and George Jones
He Stopped Loving Her Today – George Jones
How can you mend a broken heart – Trafalgar
I fall to Pieces – Patsy Cline
I go Crazy – Paul Davis
I’m Sorry – John Denver
If I could Turn Back Time – Cher
In the Ghetto – Elvis
Leaving on a Jet Plane – Peter Paul and Mary
Long, Long Time – Linda Ronstadt
My Immortal – Evanescence
A Pirate Looks at Forty – Jimmy Buffett
Please come home for Christmas – Funky New Year
Please come to Boston – Dave Loggins
She’s Got you – Loretta Lynn
Solitary Man – Neil Diamond
Some Days are Diamonds – John Denver
Someone like you -- Adele
Take me Home Country Roads – John Denver
Tequila Sunrise – Eagles
Wedding Bell Blues – Fifth Dimension
You Raise me Up – Josh Groban

What’s on your list?

2 comments:

  1. First of all, love your playlist Sis. I think that there wer only 3 or 4 songs that I even had to think about. The rest I was able to sing I. My head (at least the chorus part anyway) wiout any effort at all.

    I have nothing to comment about on the Leviticus reading. In fact, the only reason that I bothered to read was simply to be able to say that I did at the end of the year.

    The reading in Mark we encounter the hardness of the hearts of the disciples. I know we read last month in Genesis about the hardness of Pharoah's heart and how God used that. This time the disciples hearts were too hard to understand the feeding of 5000 by 5 loaves and 2 fishes and then that night Jesus walks on water. Wow their hearts may have been too hard to understand but I believe that even after the other miracles that their minds must have been blown by that day.

    The other thing that I find interesting is that in this account Mark leaves out the part about Peter attempting to walk on the water also. A little pride thing. Remember that Mark is recording Peter's version. Peter, for obvious reasons, left out this part of the story because he looks so foolish in it but other Gospel writers tell it anyway. Just another subtle reminder that Mark and Peter were real people with real emotions. Not the kind of thing that would have been evident if Mark had been written hundreds of years later as some try to claim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the Psalm for today. Thank you for leading me to it. Your entire message for today deserves a "That"ll Preach" comment. A'lot to think about. Also liked the Proverb. Reminded me of a friend's favorite Bible verse--1st Peter 4:8---And above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins." Here's a few songs on my list. Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt, Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell, Could I have this dance by Ann Murray, Raindrops keep fallin on my head by Dionne Warick, Annie,s Song by John Denver, Entire Music cd of Places in the Heart, whatever Brooks and Dunne sing and I couldn't leave out that good ole Marietta boy, Travis Tritt, and most everything he sings, and one that Jerry sings and plays on the guitar, Keep on the Sunny Side---Just keep on the sunny side of life.

    ReplyDelete