An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Friday, May 25, 2012

May 26

OT -- 2nd Samuel 9:1-11:27
David and Bathsheba. How many sermons, books, movies and plays are based on this story! It is the original Fatal Attraction. Fatal, I guess to Uriah and the first baby boy.
Here is a great link to commentary on this story.
I do have one observation and it deals with the very beginning of the story. Vs. 2 One 'evening', David got up from his bed... Having walked my own path of depression and been around several others who have experienced that, I know what being 'in bed' in the evening means. This is not the story to debate depression but in some small, silly way, it makes David all the more real to me that he seemed to suffer from depression and his decisions were just as poor as mine were while he was in that state.

NT -- John 15:1-27
The NIV uses the word 'remain' for all these verses. I much prefer the word 'abide' which is from King James Version. Abide has a 'cleaving' sense, maybe even a 'graph' sense of burrowing down in Jesus and growing together. Remain seems almost like you could bolt at any minute and I guess you can but who would want to after experiencing the love of Jesus?
I keep hearing "You and Me Against the World" in my head. And that is what this scripture passage says to me, that I am NOT alone even if the world 'hates' me, Jesus is there with me, sharing the hurt and derision.



Click Here if your email doesn't display YouTube.

Proverbs 16:1-3
All man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord.
Guess the this was pretty apropos to The OT scripture today.

No comments:

Post a Comment