An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 10

May 10
OT – 1 Samuel 8:1-9:27
We hear nothing of Samuel’s home life. Or his wife. Or his wives. Just that he had at least 2 sons that he appointed judges. And they, of course, shades of Eli, were unworthy. Having watched Eli, why didn’t Samuel do a better job?
But to the real scripture, the calling of a king. God gives the reason to avoid a king as costing the Israelites money, people, and possessions. But what you really give up for a king is POWER. Just to be like everyone else, you would give up power? Makes me cringe. But then, I did not live in a time where there was constant war and you had these loose little ‘clan-states’ who sometimes came to the aid of another and sometimes didn’t. I probably would have been in the crowd, calling for a king myself!
The fact that Saul was tall, good-looking, and ‘impressive’ made him a good choice. They say that the taller man usually wins in presidential elections. I guess the same was true in Judges’ world. Good looking is also a factor in elections. Nothing much seems to have changed in 3,000 years.

NT – John 6:22-42
This little story is about greed. Our greed. We want bigger and better every time.
What miraculous sign? Well, sometimes, it is ANY sign. But if the stun of that passes, I guess you would want more and more. And if the miracle worker was someone you ‘knew’, how unreal would that be?
Look at vs. 26: “I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man (Jesus) will give you . On him, God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”
Poor Jesus. Sent to save men's souls and by happenstance, people discovered that he could heal the sick, blind, and lame. I frequently miss the message. I certainly missed it here. I wanted the miracle, the food that spoils. Thank you for the reminder that it is God's kingdom, not Sylvia's that we are working for.


1 comment:

  1. I attend a mega church where we get email and messages that say if you are just taking up space and not contributing your seat is needed for visitors. Our messages are not feel good sermons either. Good old traditional Presbyterian churches are still needed and meet the needs of many. They just cannot compete with the contemporary church. I know because I tried so hard with our my beloved St. Andrew. I guess you could say I couldn't beat them so I joined them. It's not where you have a personal relationship with your pastor who will marry and bury you. I do miss that.

    ReplyDelete