An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Monday, May 21, 2012

May 22

Proverbs 15:27-28
A greedy man brings trouble to his family but he who hates bribes will live.

This has always been true. Why do we hear over and over again about politicians who have accepted ‘something’ so that a particular project can go through? What makes them think that these kinds of payoff/payouts won’t be discovered? With all the open records acts and internet survellence that is available, you just about have to be crazy to take a bribe. Or would you?

The dictionary defines ‘greed’ as : intense desire for selfish interests especially wealth, power and food. Oh my, food.

One of the seven deadly sins is greed.

The American obsession is greed.

Is this true? Who isn’t greedy? Can you think of someone you admire who ISN’T greedy? In something?

I think it goes back to the original definition. An ‘intense’ desire. There are things that you have to be proprietary over. Your time, for example. I was eavesdropping in the office today and overheard someone ask another person on the telephone “how much of my time are you going to require?” Is that greed or just practical planning? I am not sure how the person on the other end of the phone took it but I thought it was a great idea and one that I plan to emulate especially when it comes to church committee meetings.
Your money is another. I think it is great to be generous but not to the point where your budget is compromised. Again, is that greedy? I mean, shouldn’t I give X dollars to CAC food assistance instead of buying artisan bread? Where do priorities come into play? How do you tell the difference between greed and practicality?

As most of our proverbs do, this one is a couplet. It gives a good for a bad. It is the taking of bribes that indicates the greed.
I was sitting here, working on this blog post and Don was answering emails about the ethics forum he is hosting at Mt Vernon Presbyterian on Tuesday night at 7:30. He made the comment “if you (Sylvia) were putting on this forum, 80% of the church would turn out because they feel they ‘owe’ you for all your good deeds.” Ouch. He meant it nice but I hope that I really don’t do ‘good deeds’ so that people will ‘owe’ me.
Even in the good deed category, if you aren’t doing it for the kingdom, it really boils down to greed, then, doesn’t it? Intent matters. And so does intensity.
An intense desire for selfish interest especially for wealth, power and food.
To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment