An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Monday, October 29, 2012

October 29

OT -- Lamentations
Supposedly composed by Jeremiah, [sigh], this book is a series of five poems, [also, sigh] composed in an acrostic style. Acrostic means using the first letter of either a word or the alphabet. In this case, it is the Hebrew alphabet.
The poems were written immediately after the sack of Jerusalem by Nebuchadezzer and are sad the max degree.
Lots and lots of imagery for Jerusalem being the Daughter of God, the Virgin Daughter, or the Daughter of Zion.

NT -- The Letter of Philemon
Apparently, Onesimus was a slave who ran away and ended up with Paul. Paul convinced Onesimus to return and wrote the letter to appeal for the forgiveness of debt and anger. Paul's reasons are that Philemon and Apphia owe Paul their lives (spiritual, at least) and since Onesimus has somehow 'saved' Paul, Paul is calling the debt.
This shows a very human side of Paul as I get the feeling that he is almost begging Philemon to be kind to Onesimus.
I certainly hope the letter was successful.

And finally, the Proverb "Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down" had much to say to me.
I always want to get in that last little word. The final dig. And I certainly can run my mouth with the best of them, often offering choice bits just to prove my point. If there is a way, my mouth will get me into trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment