An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

October 11

This is an interesting date -- 10-11-12.
NT -- 1st Thessalonians 4:1-5:3
In 1st century AD, people were quite interested in numerology and specific dates and times and numbers. Names were assigned numbers and meaning and could be either lucky or unlucky as the case might be.
But it was the end of times -- the amount of time left that consumed so many people especially the early Christians. They fully expected Jesus to come at any moment and that would be it! And they looked for signs and portents.
Omens and prophesies abounded.
I, myself, spend little to no time, wondering and looking for signs that the end is near. For once, I am with Paul, "mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." vs 11
But I have to admit, living like Jesus would show up in an hour makes a lot of silly stuff I do (worrying about what's for dinner) sort of stupid. I mean, you just get on with it, make dinner from what's in the pantry or refrigerator and move on.
I can tell that there is a certain faction in the Thessalonian group that wants to quit MAKING dinner. That, you cannot do. We do not know when Jesus is coming so we just have to keep plugging along, scheduling the furnace cleanup, getting the kitty his rabies shot, and loving those around us as best we can.
And the dead people certainly aren't going to miss out like someone in Thessalonica clearly thought. As for me, I believe Jesus' words to the thief on the cross (bear in mind that Matthew hadn't been written yet) "today you will be with me in paradise"

May we meet one day in Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment