An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

March 8


Mary Magdalene

Psalm 51
This is what the title in my Bible says about this psalm: “For the director of music. A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.”
For such a familiar psalm, reading it this evening I thought of several new things. The first is how PUBLIC this whole repentance thing was for David. When I think of ‘damage control’ for leaders today, they don’t jump up and admit what stupid fools they were. Instead, what we get is spin. This was NOT what David did. He is practically debasing himself here. The second is the mention in vs. 11 of the Holy Spirit. As in, don’t take it from him. I don’t recall another instance when it is named that way. And clearly David had the Holy Spirit with him. Do you? Third, when I checked out what hyssop was (vs. 7), it is a varietal of oregano and has massive antibiotic and antiseptic properties. It is used extensively in herbal medicines to control and eradicate diseases. Which led me to the thought – did David think he would get whatever killed the baby? And that is why he is cleansing himself with hyssop? http://www.hyssophealth.com/
Finally, it is only GOD who can make the clean heart. Not you, not me. Only God. Another in the long line of faith not works hash marks. But do you get one (clean heart) just because you ask for it?
Listen to this lovely rendition of the hymn, Create in me a clean heart:


NT – Mark 14:1-21
Just in case there is still lingering doubt, notice that the woman is NOT Mary Magdalene. She is unnamed in Mark and Matthew. In John, she is named Mary but it is at Lazarus’ home in Bethany this happens and Martha serves dinner. So it is THAT Mary, not the Magdalene. I do not know nor do I buy Dan Brown of The Da Vinci Code why everyone thought it was the Magdalene who poured the perfume. So much so that there are countless pictures of Mary the Magdalene with her red dress on and her jar of perfume.
I was struck that Judas’s betrayal came immediately after the anointing. Kings are anointed but I guess not by women. And kings don’t get anointed and then say they are about to die. So was the final straw the woman, the anointing or the declaration of a rapidly approaching death? I find Judas to be one of the most enigmatic characters in the New Testament. I just simply do not understand him or his actions.

Numbers 10:1-11:23
This is actually an observation from yesterday but it carried over to today as well. Did you notice that the Israelites WAITED for the Lord to move before they did? Even when they were griping and complaining, they waited. I don’t do that nearly enough.
The whole issue of not having meat and that whole exchange with Moses about the meat coming out of their nostrils is way funny to me. So much so that I had to read ahead to March 9 just to see how it turns out. Don’t do it. Leave some suspense.

I hope that you are finding Numbers more enjoyable than Leviticus. In an email exchange today with one of my rabbi friends, I said as much. His response is to enjoy it while you can because Deuteronomy is coming (but not until March 23). Fie on that sentiment. I am loving where we are and besides, I am on the watch list for Jesus.

Blessings to you and yours this lovely, almost Spring evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment