An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Sunday, March 4, 2012

March 5

Here is the link to the U Stream video that has the sermon I preached on the Beatitudes on Sunday March 4, 2012. If you skip to minute 21, you will get to my point in the service.


NT – Mark 12:18-37
I spent an interesting afternoon at Trey’s memorial lunch. It is when you are faced with death that the whole question of the afterlife comes into startling focus. I believe strongly that while your body may not be alive, part of you definitely is. One of the teens there asked me if this helped me ‘feel better’ and I have to say, no, it does not. While I am intensely glad that Nathan is not just dust in the wind (sorry, Kansas), I need and have needed him here with me all these years. It does not help the despair, the wailing that I want to do in these moments. It would be too glib and pat for me to say that knowing Nathan or Trey is ‘in heaven’ makes it all better. The only thing that has made me feel better is TIME. And being the impatient, ADD person I am, that has been really hard for me to accept.
The whole concept of the afterlife has appeal to me on a different level. On a me level. I have learned so much, have experienced so much that I just don’t want that to vanish. I want to continue growing, learning, doing.
The Sadduces did not believe in an afterlife. The Pharisees did. This was a major issue of contention between the two groups that normally did not associate with one another. But they did ally to get rid of Jesus. To the Sadduces, Jesus’ preaching on resurrection was an abomination. The Pharisees thought that Jesus deliberately and consciously flouted all the rules and regulations. They were also concerned that his ‘rabble-rousing crowds’ would get the Romans stirred up against the Jews. Both wanted him gone. Both baited and tried to force him into a corner. These two groups are in stark contrast to the one lonely ‘teacher of the law’ who actually listened to his message before attacking. May we emulate his example.

Psalm 48:1-14
This is a lovely psalm, full of praise and beautiful imagery. I have this glorious picture of a beautiful city, shining in the sun. And then a calm, meditative temple space where people are praying and quietly singing praises to God. Beautiful gardens, tranquil fish ponds and well houses. This clearly is a vision of a heavenly church and its city as no city and no church that I have ever been in is this tranquil. Maybe we need to work on spaces at church that can mirror psalm 48.

May you have a week filled with good food, good friends and good studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment