An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Monday, March 26, 2012

March 27

OT – Deuteronomy 7:1-8:20
When I was a teenager, my dad had several ‘conversations’ that went like this. Don’t date anyone you wouldn’t marry. Don’t date someone your parents don’t like. But the best one was:
Don’t marry someone who is not Southern, Protestant, Middle Class, White, or has less education than you have.
At the time, I thought my dad was a bigot.
No, I was sure he was a bigot.
I have to say, I did not follow my dad’s advice about dating. Many awful boyfriends later, I met and married Don. He fit most of my dad’s requirements. The one he missed was that he was, in the words of my grandmother, A Yankee. Forgivable, I guess.
I had my own list and it did not match my dad’s. Mine was 1. Not married 2. If divorced, no children. 3. Have a job.
Now, 20 years later this coming June, I see that my dad was not really a bigot. He was and is a realist. Marriage is damn hard enough without adding the stressors and strains of different to it.
I have lots of friends in ‘mixed’ marriages. Everything from race to religion to class warfare. It is always the different that causes the arguments. Oh, not at first. But after the ‘glow’ is vanished, there is always some compromising to be done and that is where the rubber hits the road.
In Moses’ defense, he was also being a realist. If you want your faith to stay pure, the mamas have to be Jewish. They are the first and the best teachers for the children. If the girls marry Gentiles, the children ‘should’ be Jewish but the Gentile father will lead them to his gods and his way of doing things. You’ve lost those children. And if a Jewish boy marries a Gentile girl, well, those children are automatically not Jewish. Jewish comes through the mother.
Moses needed the Children of Israel not to assimilate. Set apart. And while Shakespeare had not been born nor had Romeo and Juliet, the world’s worst play been written, Moses knew all about the boy in the next tent who is not like the little Jewish girl. Some stories have no beginning and continue to repeat themselves over and over and over again. Thus the admonition to destroy everyone else in Canaan.

Psalm 69:1-18
Love the imagery in this psalm. Up to his neck in deep water, the author calls out again and again for God to save him. So many things threaten to overwhelm him. God knows what he did wrong and he is asking for forgiveness. Also, and this is the first time I have noticed this, he is asking that his folly not reflect on others who believe in God. I hope that whatever the problem the psalmist faced, God delivered him from it.

1 comment:

  1. The verses from Det 8:11 -18 really spoke to me. The verses are meant for the people of Israel but they so easily apply to me that it is a little scary. 

    When times are tough, when someone is sick or dying or dead, when relationship troubles loom, it is easy and even natural to look to God for comfort and direction. Moses says in these verses the real time to be careful is when things are going well. When life is good, money is not problem, when success builds upon success, we need to remember to look to God who made these things possible. But this seems to be exactly when we start to think that we are successful by ourselves alone. 

    I can testify (I know that sounds like a churchy word but it is the correct word) that can easily happen.  It is one of my biggest problems and easiest pitfalls. When things are going well, I tend to congratulate myself not God. Then something comes along and puts me in place. 

    The verses from Luke tie in very well with idea. Those who need forgiveness the most appreciate it the most. 


    Great proverb today, 

    Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
    but whoever hates correction is stupid. (Proverbs 12:1 NIV)

    I love how all the readings today seem to tie together for me. 

    I am thinking about painting this Proverb on my 16 year old son's wall so that he sees it everyday. Probably just a phase but he can't stand to be corrected about anything right now whether it is his Mom or Dad or Coach or especially his English teacher who is correcting him. Selah

    ReplyDelete