An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, March 1, 2012

March 2

OT – Leviticus 25:47-27:13, Psalm 45:1-17, Mark 10:32-52
Much of today’s reading sounds a lot like what we will be reading in the prophets. And I guess, since we know the end of the story, the Israelites did reject God and his teachings. And they did suffer all those fates.
It is hard to read of eating the flesh of your children or slaying the innocents because someone was unfaithful spiritually. But taken in context with what we read yesterday – that the Sabbath year was to prove God’s dominion, denying God has a HUGE price. And I think, unlike the Jesus in Mark, God was really specific about what makes him angry and what delights him.
The Psalm tells it all in verse 4, ‘In your majesty ride forth victoriously in behalf of truth, humility and righteousness; let your right hand display awesome deeds.’
So if God is really on the side of truth, humility and righteousness, where does that leave our friends James and John? Were they really oblivious to the truth of what was going to happen to Jesus? Are we? Do we just want him to be some sweet, loving preacher? I know I have a really hard time with the God as judge side. I also have a hard time with the whole suffering for me part.

I spent some time this evening in a class given by a Buddhist monk working on ridding myself of guilt. And I realized just now that I do feel guilty about Jesus dying for me and my apparently endless capacity for ignoring his gift. Oh, I have masses of other guilt. But just now, rereading that whole passage about drinking the cup he has drunk makes me ashamed of how I have squandered much of what he freely offered.

And I wonder, did the Israelites also come to see that they had squandered God’s amazing gift of the Land flowing with milk and honey? Or is that just given to us who read the books and think, come on! Not again. Quit quibbling over stupid stuff.

Because it seems like when God finally works up to retribution, buddy, it is BAD.

Celebration tomorrow. We finally leave Leviticus!

Have an incredibly fabulous weekend and remember to stay in the Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment