An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 26

OT and Psalm
Judges 6:1-40 and Psalm 95:1-96:13
Judge #5 is Gideon. And yes, before anyone asks, this is who the Gideon Bible is named for. I read up on how the organization got started and this is a quote:
The organization describes its link to the story of Gideon:

" Gideon was a man who was willing to do exactly what God wanted him to do, regardless of his own judgment as to the plans or results. Humility, faith, and obedience were his great elements of character. This is the standard that The Gideons International is trying to establish in all its members, each man to be ready to do God's will at any time, at any place, and in any way that the Holy Spirit leads. "

Sorry, but when I read the story of Gideon, obedience is not a characteristic that comes shining through. Questioning and doubting are what I read.

But to the scripture.
In my NIV version, the person who visits Gideon flips between the Angel of the Lord and the Lord himself several times. Also, in the Psalm, in the middle, it shifts from third person to first person. No warning, and no antecedents. It just doesn't make sense. I could not find anything in Midrash or commentary regarding either of these instances. I think it is just the ex-teacher in me that doesn't like the change-abouts.

I did however, find an interesting paper on Gideon's name and this further complicates the Gideon Bible stuff.
Click Here to read the paper.

Thank you for taking the time to read along with me.

1 comment:

  1. Ok. I will admit that I did not catch the switching back and forth between the angel of the Lord and the Lord himself. It is almost like angel is a physical presence but the Lord is only a voice.

    What I really find interesting is the way Gideon tests the Lord with the wool both the wet test and the dry test. I can't remember too many I stances where God allows himself to be tested. Maybe the false Gods of the Midianites had made Gideon skeptical.

    I haven't read the paper on Gideon that you posted above. I will read it tonight as I find this as interesting character.

    ReplyDelete